Re: Preserved Alco C628 (Was Re: PC: FA Thread & PC Prototype)

I meant, the C636 here is a good candidate since there are so few others,
citing the C628 to point out that it would be good to do it before there is
only one somewhere thousands of miles from virtually all of us -

----------
> From: Steve Vargo <anthrax7 -AT- excite.com>
> To: penn-central -AT- smellycat.com
> Subject: Preserved Alco C628 (Was Re: PC: FA Thread & PC Prototype)
> Date: Sunday, December 19, 1999 11:13 AM
>

> On Mon, 20 Dec 1999 01:05:33 -0500, penn-central -AT- smellycat.com wrote:
> > there's only one C628 and that's in Austrailia, so it's a good
> candidate for preservation anyhow, before there's only one or none at all
-

>  The Aussie C628 is preserved. According to the Australian Alco pages, it
> resides at a museum in Pilbara, Western Australia. It was used by the
> Hamersley Iron concern and is, for all intents and purposes, a stock
US-spec
> Century 628. It is, though, a static display item only.
>  Australia also has some stored C636s. The Mt. Newnan Mining Company and
> Hamersley Iron both used their engines for hauling long drags of iron ore
in
> Western Australia, sort of like US Steel used to use F7s in Utah. They
have
> since been replaced by newer General Electric AC6000 units. These were
also
> essentially US-spec units, being 4'8 1/2" and with knuckle couplers and
all.
> For some reason, the 'Roos liked Alco Centuries over GM and GE units.

> Visit Excite Shopping at http://shopping.excite.com
>  The fastest way to find your Holiday gift this season

Home | Main Index | Thread Index