Metropolitan Region - New York City
Grand Central Terminal
The Bronx - 138th Street
A set of former NYC 1000-series MU cars are rolling through the station at 138 Street, just south of the junction where the Hudson and Harlem Lines divide. Photo by Gerry Landau, from the collection of Joseph Testagrose.
The Bronx - Park Avenue and 141st Street
All of the pictures at this location were taken on October 7, 1975, by Harv Kahn.
Marble Hill is a station in the Bronx, 9.6 miles north from Grand Central Terminal on the Hudson Line.
On August 2, 1970, a pair of PC 4500-series MU cars pass through Marble Hill on their way out of town. The 4500-series MU cars were later numbered in the 1000-series and were easily spotted by their large, round headlights. Photo by Joseph Testagrose.
On the same day, PC 4635, a former Cleveland Union Terminal P-2b electric, brings an inbound train through Marble Hill. These locomotives ran on overhead catenary when built, but were later modified to run on the third rail trackage out of Grand Central. Photo by Joseph Testagrose.
Four weeks after the previous photo was taken, a set of ex-NYC 1100-series MU cars slow to a stop at the Marble Hill station. Note the second car, wearing its as-delivered paint scheme. Photo by Steve Zabel, from the collection of Joseph Testagrose.
Riverdale is a station in the Bronx, 13 miles out from Grand Central Terminal, located at the north end of Riverdale Park next to the Hudson River. The following two pictures were taken at Riverdale station by Gary Stuebben on May 8, 1975.
FL9 5002 brings the northbound "Laurentian" through Riverdale. The train will be handed off to the Delaware & Hudson at Rensselaer, NY. From there, the D&H will take it the rest of the way to Montreal. This is why the train is a mix of Amtrak and D&H cars.
Continue the photo tour northward (timetable westward) on the Hudson Line.
A PC wrecking crane is seen at an accident scene at 151 Street in the Bronx on October 10, 1973. Check out the crunch job the signal bridge did on the passenger car! The passenger train derailed at about 7:30 AM that morning and knocked over the signal bridge, shutting down the railroad and delaying 40,000 inbound commuters for up to four hours. Service was restored to normal later that afternoon. One person aboard the damaged coach suffered minor injuries. Photo by Steve Zabel, from the collection of Joseph Testagrose. Thanks to Bob Machann for providing the background on the derailment.
Sunnyside Yard was the Pennsylvania Railroad's passenger yard in the borough of Queens, across the East River from Penn Station. The yard was 2 miles long. It was also a haven for electric locomotives, with a large electric locomotive servicing facility. It is currently still used by Amtrak.
PC 4751 is a B1 electric switcher, seen here in retirement at Sunnyside on November 11, 1975. Forty-two of these unusual locomotives were built by the PRR starting in 1926. The 4751 was the last to see service, and at the time this photo was taken, its days on earth were definitely numbered. Photo by Harv Kahn.
Long Island City
Near Hunters Point in Long Island City, east of the East River tunnels, are seen a set of PC Metroliners on the left and a set of Long Island Railroad M-1 MU cars making a station stop. Photo by Doug Grotjahn, from the collection of Joseph Testagrose.
Still wearing its PRR single-stripe paint, GG1 4877 takes a break next while a Long Island commuter train passes in the background on May 26, 1969 at Hunters Point. Photographer unknown, from the collection of Joseph Testagrose.