Penn Central Electric Locomotive Photos
The GG1 was developed in the mid-1930's by the Pennsylvania Railroad as a fast passenger locomotive.
Oh what a difference a few years makes......compare the above photo with this one of PC GG1 4840, taken on December 13, 1975, from almost the same location at Kearny, NJ. The 4840 still displays the broad gold stripe of her Pennsy heritage, but with PC worms replacing the PRR lettering. Photo copyright 1997 Harv Kahn. (24 K)
PC GG1 4800, affectionately known as "Old Rivets," rests at Meadows Yard in Kearny, NJ, on November 30, 1975. The 4800 was the first GG1 built and the only GG1 to have a riveted carbody. Photo copyright 1997 Harv Kahn. (36 K)
Even a handful of GG1's received the "red P" treatment, and the 4906 was one of them, seen here at South Amboy, NJ, in September 1968. And check out the NKP hopper to the left of the locomotive! Photographer unknown, from the collection of Joseph Testagrose. (82 K)
PC 4780/4781 was the last remaining ex-PRR DD1 electric locomotive. The DD1s were built in 1910 as the original power used to haul trains through the Hudson River tunnels into Penn Station. This last remaining DD1 (a DD1 consisted of a semi-permanently coupled pair) was used for the nightly wire train in the Hudson River tunnels for the first year or so after the merger. It is seen at Sunnyside Yard in Queens, NY, on March 10, 1969. Not long after this photo was taken, it was donated to the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, where it is to this day. Photographer unknown, from the collection of Joseph Testagrose. (107 K)
The S-2 was a former New York Central electric which was used in the third rail territory in and around Grand Central Terminal in New York City. Penn Central at one time rostered 14 of the little locomotives, numbered 4702-4733.
New York Central had several electric motor classes which started with "T". They were T1a, T1b, T2a, T2b, and T3a. They were built between 1913 and 1926 and were used in third rail territory. At the start of Penn Central there were 14 T Motors on the roster, but their numbers dwindled after the ex-New Haven FL9s began to be used on the former NYC commuter lines out of Grand Central.
PC T3a 4678 is seen at Sunnyside Yard in Queens, NY, on August 6, 1975. Its last assignment was on the Sunnyside wire train, but the locomotive had been bumped from that role at least a year earlier and has probably sat out of service ever since. Photo copyright 1998 by Harv Kahn. (166 K)
Penn Central inherited from the New Haven 11 EF-4 class electric freight locomotives, which were classed by PC as E33s. The 3,300 hp locomotives were originally purchased by the Virginian in the early 1950's. After the Virginian and the Norfolk & Western merger, the Virginian's electrified trackage was converted to diesel power, and the orphaned locomotives were sold to the New Haven. They wore NH numbers 300-311 and were later numbered PC 4600-4611. All of the E33s, with the exception of the 4600, made it into Conrail, and many wore blue paint until Conrail's electric operation was discontinued in 1981.
Penn Central rostered eight former New Haven EP-5 passenger locomotives. Known by crews as "Jets," these locomotives were built in 1955 for the NH, wore the "McGinnis" paint scheme, and were numbered in the 370-series. After the PC merger the eight surviving units were reclassed as E40s, numbered 4970-4977, and were painted PC black. They were originally slated for passenger service, but they proved to be unreliable, so they were put into freight service. Six E40s survived to Conrail, but were retired by the end of 1977.
The E44s were built in 1959 as a 4400 horsepower freight motor for the PRR's electrified lines. There were 66 E44s, numbered 4400-4465. The last six were later rebuilt and uprated to 5000 horsepower, and reclassified E44a.