EMD Locomotive Photos (page 3)


The SW1 was a 660 horsepower switcher, easily recognized by its distinctive sandbox below the front radiator. PRR and NYC originally purchased these diminutive engines, with ex-Central units numbered in the 8400's, while ex-Pennsy units were in the 8500's.

thumbnail SW1 8414, the former NYC 581, is seen at work in Herkimer, NY, in 1977. Photo by Michael Fullerton. (51 K)

thumbnail PC SW1 8470 is seen parked at Maybrook, New York, on June 1, 1975. The number style and oval herald showing through the peeling paint on the cab betray this locomotive's New York Central heritage. Photo by Bruce A. Leemann. (138 K)

thumbnail At an unknown location in December 1971 is PC SW1 8544. Stenciled under the engine number is the name "G.H. Bashant," who was Gordon Howard Bashant, Sr., PC's Road Foreman of Engines until his retirement in 1970. Shop forces honored Mr. Bashant by naming the locomotive for him around the time of his retirement, although he later requested that his name be removed. Also notice the white frame stripe and silver trucks. Penn Central locomotives normally did not receive such a flashy treatment in the paint shop. Photo by G. Wilsuz, Stephen Foster collection. (76 K)


New York Central was the only PC predecessor to purchase the SW8, an 800 horsepower switcher. They were numbered 8600-8627, with the exception of the Despatch Shops switcher.

thumbnail PC SW8 8606 waits in the company of a GP38-2 at Cleveland's Collinwood Yard for its next assignment. Photo by Dave Beach, July 1976. (87 K)

thumbnail SW8 8619 sports an unusual cab window modification. Note also the nonstandard white dot under the cab number. Photographer, date, and location unknown, from the collection of Dennis Nehrenz. (89 K)

thumbnail This SW8 retained its NYC-style numbers all the way through Penn Central. Now on the Conrail roster, SW8 8621 is seen switching cars at Akron, Ohio, in May 1976. Photo by Dave Beach. (140 K, 1/28/04)

thumbnail DSI #15 was the shop switcher at Merchant Despatch Shops, a former NYC subsidiary company, in Rochester, NY. Shop forces painted their locomotive into one of the most colorful PC paint schemes ever created. The locomotive is seen at Rochester on April 1, 1970. The paint job did not last long, however. Shortly after this photo was taken, the locomotive was renumbered to PC 8605 (2nd) and was repainted in full PC black. Photo by David Turkon, from the collection of Dale A. DeVene Jr.


thumbnail The SW900 was a 900 horsepower EMD switcher that was purchased only by NYC. They all kept their NYC numbers into Penn Central. Here, the first NYC SW900, 8628, is seen at Collinwood Yard in November 1975. SW900s 8628-8630 were originally built for NYC subsidiary Cleveland Union Terminal. Photo by Thomas Seiler. (93 K)


thumbnail The NW2 was a 1000 horsepower switcher that could be recognized by its half-height front radiator grill. PRR and NYC both owned NW2's, with ex-PRR units numbered 8647-8678, while ex-NYC units were numbered 8683-8810. Here, NW2 8648 switches cars in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, in August 1972. The PRR heritage can be recognized from its number, not just because it is numbered with other PRR units, but that it still wears gold numbers under the cab window like the PRR used. Photographer unknown, Stephen Foster collection. (58 K)


EMD's followup to the NW2 was the 1200 horsepower SW7. PRR and NYC both owned the SW7, with the Central's units keeping their former numbers, located in the 8836-8910 number range, while the Pennsy's units were renumbered 9076-9098.

thumbnailAt LaPorte, Indiana, SW7 8891 models one of PC's more spartan paint schemes on October 11, 1975. Photo by Gary Stuebben. (105 K)


The SW9 was the successor to the SW7 model, and was purchased by both PRR and NYC. NYC's were numbered 8911-9001 and kept their NYC numbers, while PRRs were numbered in groups throughout the 9000's and 9100's.

thumbnail Former NYC SW9 8991 is seen switching hoppers at an unknown location and date. Photographer unknown, Stephen Foster collection. (76 K)

thumbnailPC 9001, the last NYC SW9, is seen in Cleveland in August 1970. Photo by Dick Ross. (71 K)

thumbnail Former PRR SW9 9114 idles away between assignments at West Park Yard in Cleveland, Ohio, in August 1970. The 9114 was previously PRR 8514. Photo by Dick Ross. (80 K)

thumbnail Another ex-PRR SW9, the 9116, is at work at Collinwood Yard in Cleveland. It was originally PRR 8516. Photo by Dick Ross. (71 K)

thumbnail The engineer on ex-PRR SW9 9119 strikes a pose and smiles for photographer Dick Ross. Seen in Cleveland in October 1970. (89 K)


After the SW7, EMD introduced the 1200 horsepower SW1200, which was manufactured from 1954 to 1966. PRR and New Haven both owned SW1200's. The ex-NH units were unique in that they rode on Flexicoil trucks instead of standard switcher trucks, which allowed these units to operate at road freight speeds.

thumbnail PC 9031 is former PRR SW1200 7931. Judging from the rectangular paint out blotch on the third hood door from the front where a Keystone would be, it probably is still wearing its former PRR paint. Photo by Dick Ross, 1970. (89 K)

thumbnail SW1200 9033 leaves no doubt as to its former owner, seen here wearing its old PRR paint. Photo by Dick Ross, date and location unknown. (91 K)

thumbnail Look closely at the red paint on the radiator and the rear of the cab, the white frame stripe, and the painted out area between the louvers and front of the hood, and you can tell that PC 9182 still wears its original New Haven paint. The locomotive is seen in June 1972 at Boston, Mass. Photo by J. Thompson, Stephen Foster collection. (68 K)

thumbnail Same locomotive as above, a few months later and following a trip to the paint shop. PC 9182, now wearing a standard PC black paint scheme, switches at New Haven, Conn. Photo by Ralph Phillips, Stephen Foster collection. (82 K)


The SW1500 was EMD's 645-engined switcher, introduced in 1968. PC rostered 95 SW1500s. Most were numbered in the 9500 series, but twelve of them were numbered 9216-9227. The 9200-series units were originally to be delivered to PC subsidiary Indiana Harbor Belt, but they banks deemed their credit to be unworthy and instead the units were sold to IHB's bankrupt parent, Penn Central.

thumbnail PC 9528, a 1972-built SW1500, is seen at Beacon Park Yard, Boston, Mass. Photo by Bob Redden. (166 K)

thumbnail SW1500 9542 amongst other PC power in July 1972 at New Haven, Conn. Photographer unknown, Stephen Foster collection. (86 K)

thumbnail One number higher and not too far away from the previous picture is PC 9543, seen at Danbury, Conn., on July 23, 1972. Photographer unknown, Stephen Foster collection. (101 K)

Go to EMD Photos, Page 1
Go to EMD Photos, Page 2








EMD pg 1

EMD pg 2

EMD pg 3