EMD Locomotive Photos (page 2)
Penn Central rostered nearly 300 GP7s, which were inherited from PRR and NYC, and were assigned road numbers 5600-5959. The former PRR units were numbered in the 5840-5899 and 5950-5954 series, and the remainder were ex-NYC. All GP7s in the 5900s were equipped with steam generators for passenger service.
Some PC locomotives waited a while before receiving their new owner's markings. An example is ex-NYC GP7 5600, still wearing its NYC emblem. Note also the location of the road number, standard practice in later years for Geeps on the NYC. Photo by Dick Ross. (79 K)
Nearly six years after the inception of "Big Blue", GP7 5706, shown at Stanley Yard in Toledo, Ohio, still sports a full Penn Central paint scheme on January 9, 1982. Photo by Tim Black, from the collection of Dale A. DeVene Jr. (115 K)
In the company of SW7 8845, GP7 5916, formerly NYC 5784, sits outside of the Collinwood P1a shed in Cleveland on a late afternoon in August 1971. The device on the short hood next to the cab window is part of the NYC Automatic Train Stop system that many ex-NYC locomotives were equipped with. Like most NYC power, it also lacked dynamic brakes. Photo by John Swift, Jr. (122 K, 1/26/02)
The SD35 was the 6-axle version of the GP35. Pennsy owned forty of the units, which were numbered starting at 6000, and they retained those same numbers under PC ownership.
The SD40 was EMD's 645-engined, 6-axle, 3000 horsepower road switcher. With over 1100 units built, it was wildly popular with railroads, and Penn Central was no exception, rostering 110 units themselves. PC's SD40s were in two number series: 6040-6104 were originally purchased by the Pennsylvania, and later PC bought their own SD40's and numbered them 6240-6284. (The SD40's successor, the SD40-2, was owned by Conrail, but not PC.)
The Penn Central rostered 135 SD45s. The 3600 horsepower, 20-cylinder locomotives were popular with railroads, although by the late 1960's, the SD45's high fuel consumption and leak-prone radiators sent railroads looking to the SD40 instead, as Penn Central only ordered 5 SD45s.
PC operated 25 SD9's, all former PRR units. They were used mostly in yard and hump service. Here, PC 6908, formerly PRR 7608, is seen on the New York & Long Branch in South Amboy, NJ, in August of 1972. Photographer unknown, Stephen Foster collection. (101 K)
Fresh from the paint shop, GP9 7300 awaits the call for a second trick assignment on Whiskey Island in Cleveland on July 6, 1973. The 7300 is a passenger-equipped GP9 (note the "torpedo tubes" on its roof) and was originally built as Cleveland Union Terminal 7300 (later lettered for NYC). Photo by Dennis Bydash. (59 K)
At Rockport Yard in Cleveland, GP9s 7446 and 7453 take a break from their work while the engineer casts a glance at the photographer. The locomotives are former NYC 6046 and 6053, respectively. Photo by Dick Ross. (80 K)
Former New Haven Geep 1228, now PC 7558, is seen at the enginehouse in its former owner's home city. This engine, like all ex-NH Geeps, was equipped with a steam boiler for passenger train service. Photo by Henry Maywald, from the collection of Stephen Foster. (78 K)