PC: La Grange Plant GP-40 Orange C Engines

Hello Everyone,

Being the issue of the "Orange C" YES it was Orange, not RED has
surfaced again with the picture of the EMD GP-40 engines taken at the
La Grange plant. I thought I would offer this bit of information. My
intentions are not to turn this into a huge eMail debate. It is only
to share information on the subject that I obtained over 37 years
ago, so can take it for what it's worth.

I had hired out on the Boston and Albany (B&A) Springfield Division
in June 1969. One trip during that summer an assistant superintendent
of the Springfield Division was riding the head end of our train. I
personally asked him what was the significance of the "Orange C"was
which happened to be on our lead locomotive that day. Without
hesitation he told me it was to make the New Haven feel welcome into
the Penn Central family. After all of these years and for all of the
reasons I have heard for the "Orange C", I have never once doubted
his explanation. I have heard several reasons for the "Orange C" but
not once have I ever heard anyone mention the connection with the New
Haven. After all, the PRR nor the NYC used the color Orange that I'm
aware of, but the New Haven used it extensively!

Now if we just stop and think about it for a minute, it all makes
sense. The EMD GP-40 engines 3170 thru 3186 which had the "Orange C"
were made in October 1968. The New Haven became part of the Penn
Central on January 1, 1969. I'd also like to note, that New Haven
engine and train crews Penn Central seniority date was November 1,
1968, not January 1, 1969 when the New Haven became part of the Penn
Central. There had been much anticipation during 1968 about the New
Haven becoming part of the Penn Central especially on the part of
seniority. This is why the seniority date is different from the
merger date. The other thing I find interesting is there was only one
other locomotive with an "Orange C" that I'm aware of. It was a
former New Haven engine no less renumbered with 5585. Now is that a
coincidence or what? Only one other engine with the "Orange C"
happens to have been a New Haven engine, not a PRR or NYC engine.

After all of this, I have come to this conclusion. The "Orange C" was
indeed Orange, not RED. It had nothing to do with the PRR nor the
NYC. If anyone can convince me otherwise with some facts and not just
speculation, I am listening.

Hopefully this clears up some of this mystery,

Chuck French
Former Penn Central locomotive Fireman/Engineer

Chuck

PennCentral -AT- Taconic.Net

Home | Main Index | Thread Index