[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

RE: PC: What's the "A" for?

Hi Jerry.....this is Owen Royce, a former Penn Central Fireman, Police
Officer, Block Operator, Freight Agent, Demurrage Clerk, Assistant
Supervisor of Yard Procedures....the list grows from there, still employed
after 37 years of service.

The "A" above the car number was simply a way to identify the end of the
car that held the hand brake...the "A" end did not but the "B" end did.
Also, this was used to indicate to all involved, if a problem developed
with the car such as knuckle or draw bar, sticking brake or dragging
you could communicate with the crew as to which end of the car had the
problem......such as radio the car department that there is a pulled draw
bar on 
the "A" end of the car.

Hope this helps.....

Owen Royce
Penn Central Former Employee!

> [Original Message]
> From: Jerry Jordak <jer -AT- smellycat.com>
> To: Penn Central Mailing List <penn-central -AT- smellycat.com>
> Date: 1/15/2007 11:25:06 AM
> Subject: PC: What's the "A" for?
> Hi everyone,
> A friend of mine was asking me about a marking on a Third Rail Graphics 
> boxcar he bought. On the left side of the car below the "Penn Central" 
> and above the reporting marks is a yellow circle with an "A" in it, like 
> on this car:
> http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/pc/pc160269ajs.jpg
> Anyone know what that marking was for?
> Thanks,
> -JWJ

Home | Main Index | Thread Index