From: jer -AT- smellycat.com
To: penn-central -AT- smellycat.com
Sent: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 10:38 PM
Subject: PC: NYC express boxcars as work equipment?

Hi everyone,

Last night while browsing the shelves at the LHS, I found one of these Walthers express boxcars that was rebuilt from an old WWII troop sleeper:

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/932-4161

I thought it was an interesting model, but my layout has no passenger service. (Not by my choice, the PRR killed it off several years earlier.) However, I know that a lot of old passenger equipment ended up in MOW service.

Which begs my question: were these troop sleepers ever used in MOW service on Penn Central? Or were they even still around by the time of the merger? Just curious if anyone has any information on these cars. I'd figure I'd ask before I spend $20 on one. :)

Thanks,
-JWJ