[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
PC: Penn Central items for sale
- Subject: PC: Penn Central items for sale
- From: "Gary Farmer" <gary@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 17:18:54 -0500
Here are some Penn Central items for sale please contact me off list at
bookish -AT- localnet.com if you want anything. Prices do not include shipping.
Thanks for looking! I hope there's something here that you can add to your
Numbers are not sequential because some of the items are already sold.
1. PC Builder's plate: GP40 #3195 EMD s/n: 34636 dated 11/68. Paint is very
good, but the plate is slightly bent. It could easily be straightened, but
also looks OK as-is. One rivet hole in the upper right hand corner is broken
out at the top. Good condition overall. $50
2. PC Builder's plate: GP40 #3229 EMD s/n: 34693 dated 11/68: Plate is in
very good condition, but dirty. Black paint is faded & in some areas the
base metal shows through a little. The blue paint around the GM logo is
good. Good overall. $55
4. PC Builder's plate: GP38-2 #8035 EMD s/n: 7354-96 dated 8-72. Paint &
plate are both in very good condition, but dirty. $60
5. PC police badge: #653 PA Patrolman. Standard department-issued silver
shield-shaped patrolman's badge. Top panel reads "PENN CENTRAL R.R." (over)
"POLICE" (over) "Commonwealth of Pennsylvania" state seal (some badges have
the "State of Pennsylvania" seal, which is not as nice). On the back across
the top (backwards) is the wording "first national city bank police". When
the badge Co. made these badges, they used another customer's die for the
back of the PC badges. Ironically, First National City Bank was one of PC's
biggest creditors.It has a pin & ball catch on the rear & a piece of masking
tape on it with the wording "Conrail Phila. Apr. '78". Excellent condition-
very little wear. The bottom is bent in a little at the numbers (common on
these badges). $100
6. PC police badge: Connecticut Lieutenant. Standard department-issued gold
starburst design LT. badge with blue enamel background. Has the wording
"Penn. Central R.R. Police" around the "State of Connecticut" seal, with the
panel "Lieutenant" at the bottom. On the back is a pin and catch. Shows some
wear, but very good overall. $115
7. PC Brush: Long handle (24 inches) fastens onto a large (2 inch
diameter), angled head with long bristles. I have heard these were used for
graphite, grease or paint. You decide! Mint condition. Has the manufacturer'
s stamp "Rubico no. 23" on it, plus the PC name & logo in black. Real neat,
unusual item. $27.50
9. PC silverware: Broadway pattern dinner fork. PC logo is embossed into
the handle, with the back marked "International Silver Co." Silverware was
one of the few first-class items that PC had. Very nice piece in excellent
condition (needs polished). $25
10. PC silverware: Broadway pattern dinner knife. PC logo is embossed into
the handle. Excellent condition (needs polished). $25
11. PC Family Club reservation card. Neat little silver 2 X 4 inch card
that reads "(PC logo)" over "FAMILY CLUB" over "Special Guest" over "Rooms
426-427". Must have been for a special dinner or gathering. Almost
impossible to find anything from this PC fraternal organization that was
started by PRR. $5
15. PC tractor-trailer sign: Sign is off the front of the trailer and
measures 2 X 3 feet. Painted aluminum, it has a green background, while the
PC logo is in white, with the PENN CENTRAL name in black. EXCELLENT
condition- nicest one I've ever seen (come to think of it, it's nicer than
the one in my collection!) The only reason I'm not upgrading mine is because
it has sentimental value- but that's another story. Comes with all it's
original railroad dirt intact. $100
17. PC buttons: "Call Us Penn Central" metal lapel button. This was the
first thing put out by PC, right after the merger. White background with
"Call Us" & the "C" in the logo in red. The "P" in the logo, as well as the
words "Penn Central" are in black. Very good condition. $5
19. PC tie tack: Gold tie tack with a raised PC logo. Surface shows a
little corrosion, which will clean right off. Very good condition otherwise.
Still in the original blue plastic box with clear lid (ideal for display) $9
20. PC Kerosene lantern: DRESSEL made this Kero lantern, which has a clear
globe. It comes complete with a Dressel pot & burner (some had ADLAKE pots).
The pot is painted red (kind of curious). Top of the lantern says "Dressel
Arlington NJ". The lid has the PC logo raised on it. Lantern is in good/very
good condition overall, with the surface having a little rust/water spot on
the lid and some on the bottom. Tin on the surface is about 90% intact
(which on the Dressels is pretty good). PC had Kero lanterns made by Adlake
& Dressel. You will find 20 Adlakes for every 1 Dressel.$85
25. "Penn Central-Route of the Metroliners" paper cup. 6 Oz. cup with the
PC name & slogan wrapped around the cup on an attached band. Mint condition.
26. PC passenger service employee lapel pins: Cast in the shape of a PC
logo with a bronze finish, these are one of the nicest-looking PC items ever
produced (in my humble opinion). One has the manufacturer's hallmark on the
back of "Metal Arts Roch. NY", the other does not. Sold as a pair (in
excellent condition). $18
26a. PC passenger service employee lapel pin: Single pin mounted on a small
green background for display. Looks very nice, but someone bent the pins
over to hold the background in place. $7
27. PRR passenger service employee lapel pins: Cast in the shape of a PRR
logo (skeleton) with a brass finish, these are one of the nicest-looking PRR
items ever produced (again in my humble opinion). Brass finish is worn on
these, revealing the silver base metal (you must look closely to notice
this- they look great! Again, sold as a pair, these both have the Eby Co.
hallmark on the back. $38
28. PC uniform buttons:
Large gold button with PC logo & Waterbury button Co. hallmark on the back:
$2 each (have several)
29. PC uniform buttons:
Small gold button with PC logo & Waterbury button Co. hallmark on the back:
$1.50 each (have several)
30. PRR uniform buttons:
Large gold button with PRR logo & Waterbury button Co. hallmark on the back.
$2.50 each (have several).
31. PRR uniform buttons:
Small gold button with PRR logo & Waterbury button Co. hallmark on the back.
$2 each (have several)
32. PC glass ashtray: Used in PC's parlor cars, this clear glass ashtray
has 4 cigarette rests, 1 each at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock. Has the PC name &
logo in green in the bottom. Have 2: $17 each. (both for $30)
33. PC Engineering Standards pages: Normally held in a binder, these large
format (9 X 14 inch) drawings give official PC specifications for everything
from signs to lettering to trackwork. Almost all pages are railroad-made
photocopies. This is not a complete set of drawings, but provides a good
sampler of these hard to find documents. About 30-40 loose standards pages,
mostly track components. $20
37. PC Employee Timetables $5 each:
a. Eastern Region #5 (5/17/70)- brand new- no general orders
b. Eastern Region #8 (4/30/72)- brand new- no general orders
c. New York Region #4 (10/26/69- last issue for this region) brand new- no
38. PC Refrigerator Magnets: Green with raised white PC name & logo. These
were official PC-issued items featured in their company gift catalogs and
also in the PC POST employee magazine. Very good condition. $5 each- $9 for
40. PC boxcar seal. Embossed metal strip with the words PENN CENTRAL and
KAL-411XX The KAL designation means that these strips were assigned to
Altoona PA. $2
41. PRR "Roly Poly" glasses. Official PRR/PC gift shop item. Short round
glass with the PRR logo in red and a GG1 pulling a freight train around the
glass. Mint condition. Have a set of 4. $7 each or all 4 for $25
42. PRR cocktail glass. Official PRR/PC gift shop item. Larger mixed-drink
style glass with gold rim & the PRR logo in gold. Has several steam, diesel
and electric logos at various places on the glass in black & gold. Have 3-
$9 each- all 3 for $25
43. PC menu sampler: You're getting 4 menus here- 1 of each-
a. Single card "Snack Menu" dated 5-20-70. Double-sided, it has a beverage
menu on the reverse (menu # PC-5).
b. Broadway Limited Dinner menu from 1970- green foldout with PC name & logo
in black on the cover (menu # PC-6) The printing on the cover is a little
light, but easily readable & complete.
c. Single card lunch menu dated 4-71 (just 1 month before Amtrak). Has
beverage menu on the reverse (menu # PC-9).
d. Single card beverage menu dated 11-69 (menu # PC-11).
All 4 menus are in good condition- a little minor soiling here & there.
Could be easily touched up with a pencil eraser. All 4 menus for $10.
Now for some individual menus. If you bought lot 43, you WILL NOT want to
buy lots 46, 47, or 48 below, as they are all included in lot 43. All menus
below are in good condition with minor soiling that should clean up with a
46. Menu # PC-5: Single card "Snack Menu" dated 5-20-70 with black and
white polka-dot border. Double-sided, it has a beverage menu on the reverse.
47. Menu # PC-6: Broadway Limited Dinner menu with green cover & PC name &
logo in black (printing is a little light on cover). Dated 5-20-70. $5
48. Menu # PC-9: Single card lunch menu dated 4-71 (just 1 month before
Amtrak). Has beverage menu on the reverse. $3
49. Menu # PC-10: "Sandwich Menu" single card lunch menu. Has a black and
white polka-dot border. $3
50. PC POLICE Dept. parking pass: 5 X 11 (approx.) inch manila cardstock
reads: "Penn Central Transportation Co." "OFFICIAL" (in large letters) "no:"
(has 3 digit number)"issued to:" (blank space for name)"by: PCT Co. Police
Dept. Cleveland OH." Has large green PC logo also. These were used mainly in
Cleveland Union terminal for employees, etc. who had to park their personal
autos at the station. Rare to find any paper items from the PC police dept.
51. Set of 5 PC stock certificates: PC had 6 total stocks- included are 5
of the 6: CAPITAL STOCK 100 shares (blue); CAPITAL less than 100 shares
(brown); COMMON STOCK less than 100 shares (tan); COMMON 100 shares (pink);
COMMON more than 100 (purple). All 5 in very nice shape. $15 for all 5. THIS
IS MY LAST SET OF 5.
52. Individual stocks $5 each, all 3 for $10:
a. COMMON STOCK less than 100 shares (brown)
b. COMMON STOCK 100 shares (pink)
c. COMMON STOCK more than 100 shares (purple)
53. "POTLUCK PC" A grouping of PC paper items- forms, envelopes, public
timetables, tickets, etc. All kinds of miscellaneous stuff too small to list
by itself, but good items in their own right. Guaranteed to be a good value!
$10 buys a surprise "batch" of stuff.
54. Book: "A Sampling Of Penn Central" by Jerry Taylor. THIS IS THE BEST
BOOK EVER WRITTEN ON PENN CENTRAL (in this collector's opinion). Why?
Because it was written by a PC General Manager, who KNEW the railroad. This
book covers the entire Southwest Region (Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, West
Virginia, Kentucky) in intimate detail. About 400 pages, each page has a
black & white photo with a full page of description about the photo on the
facing page. If you're into how a railroad REALLY works, trackage
arrangements, shippers, operations, etc., then this book simply can't be
beat & can never be duplicated. Originally published in 1973, this is a 2000
reprint by Indiana University Press. This book is currently available from
IUP for $60, I am offering it for $50 here (brand new, still in the shrink
wrap). Only have 2 copies left. $50
56. NYC Three-ring notebook: "Northern District Track Foremen Development
Course" It has the New York Central cigar band logo & "Road To The Future"
slogan on the black vinyl cover. Excellent condition. $15
Are you interested in Conrail items? I have some GOOD CR stuff right now. I
'll provide details if asked.
END OF LIST- THANKS FOR LOOKING!!
Main Index |