Re: PC: Another Penn Central Book.

Steve:

Thankfully, I've covered all my bases on the politico-economic stuff. Had to
plow through all of those books in writing a paper last semester on railroad
regulation. Wound up kicking the Railroad Competition Act of 2003 (i.e.
S.919) pretty hard, but at least the professor liked it. The one thing I
walked away with from those books was a desire to slap Saunders, punch
Perlman, and lay a beating on Bevan.[1] I've got to get my own copies of all
of these books, which may or may not get expensive. And yes, I do enjoy the
business/political side of the whole mess, along with the business of
transportation by rail in general.

One of the most amusing things about the whole project was seeing a report
from the American Enterprise Institute handed down during the Ford
Adminstration. One of its authors was none other than John Snow. Hee hee.
Where have we heard _that_ name before?

Having said and read all that, I just wanted to see pictures! That's why I'm
kind of hoping that some latter-day Penn Central revival will lead to a
reprint of the Yanosey book, because I prefer buying new if I'm going to lay
out some significant dollars.[2] Would that Harry Stegmaier would make "Penn
Central Passenger Consists" some day!

Keep the suggestions coming; I'm making a list of things to focus on in the
near future.

[1] And curse the name, memory, and career of Wright Patman, too.
[2] That's not something the historical society could arrange, is it?

Michael Worrell

"You think you know what I'm doing, so obviously you don't."---Aeon Flux