PC: PRR X-42 Boxcars...

   I recently seen a picture taken in 1975 of an ex-PRR X-42 boxcar, still
in PRR paint in the "shadow-keystone" scheme.  If you haven't seen an X-42
before, it looks like someone grafted two 40' boxcars together end-to-end.
The car must be at least 70' long.  What I want to know is how many of these
cars made it to PC and if any were painted PC green.  Also, the picture I
seen is not the best, but it looks like the car rides on high-speed express
trucks like the ones used on several REA boxcars.  I would like to confirm
this.  Were these cars perhaps used as head-end cars on passenger trains by
the PRR?  Any other information on these cars is appreciated...

                                                   -Gregg B.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index