Re: PC: FL-9's

Lon Godshall wrote:

I was just pondering the locations of the ex PC FL9's. I have never seen
one and a fella has asked me for the location of one in NY State to
photograph.  I thought Danbury had one but they don't. Are there any NY'ers here to direct me to a dead or living FL-9? I assume none are PC yellow and blue anymore.

Thanx
Lon

Lon and Listers

Last time I was home (summer 2000) MNCR 2033, 2031, 2030, 2028, and 2022 were stored at Croton North (exit Senesqua Road off of Rt. 9A).  If they are still there, the best photos are from the river side of the tracks in the afternoon.  These are unrebuilt FL-9's including the last F-unit built (NH 2059, MNCR 2033).  MNCR 2029 has been stored and cannibalized at the rear (north) of Harmon Shops since 1995 and is probably picked clean.  Until last year, you could squeeze in pictures of it from Rt. 9A near the exit to the station but they have since erected a chain link fence with green screening to block the view.  MNCR 2021 was donated to the childrens hospital (sans engine) at Valhalla.  It was quite a sight seeing it travel down the road on a low boy with its trucks following behind.  Currently it is outdoors but they are planning on building an air conditioned and heated structure around it and making it the center piece of a recreation area for sick kids staying at the medical center.  So far as I know, it is still painted MNCR colors.  The last two blue and yellow FL-9's (5023 and 5047) never received MNCR numbers in either the 500 or 2000 series and were stored at Croton North for most of the 1980's after suffering serious failures.  They became some of the first FL-9AC's.  Due to their advanced state of disrepair, they moved to rebuilding aboard flat cars.

Last year, at least one Hudson Line train used FL-9's but that may have changed if MNCR took delivery of its new units.  BTW, in the local paper up that way there was a big article on MNCR's plan to rebuild the Harmon shop complex.  It involved the demolition of the existing shop building and moving servicing to the south of the new overpass over the yard.  An admittedly vague sketch accompanied the article.  Even if the rebuilding is not true to the artist's rendition, big changes are on the way at Harmon.

Bob Holzweiss

Home | Main Index | Thread Index