Re: PC: Re: white frames and worms

Ha ha.  Let's see, 2830-2888 are U30B's which was in production at that
time, so how do you account of a not yet produced U33B during U30B
production? Builder's plates are corrrecrt and certainly do match GE
records. No one ever reported MILW U33C's  not even X2000 as U30C since U30C
production ceased same time as that for U30B.  GE would not stamp an
obsolete model number on a current model.

Yes, 2858 may "look" like a U33B but insides and period produced say U30B as
does NYC Class GF30 and the NYC Rosters. There are many U33B details missing
from 2858 that are correct for a U30B. 2858 only has an experimental flared
radiator which does not  classify it as a not yet produced model.

> While the builders plates were stamped U30B, all of GE's production
records call the 2858 and 2859 U33B's.  In fact all internal components were
U33B components.  The 2858 and 2859 did have an addition transition piece
that flared the radiator overhang into the top of the hood.  However, this
also appeared on the GE test set of U33B's as well (GE 301-304).  This was
the only feature that was not carried over into production U33B's.

> Call them what you like, the two units were more like 33's than 30's.
>
> GE has had this description issue with other units.  The MILW had four
U33C's that had builders plates stamped U30C.  The first B36-7's were built
as part of an SP order for B30-7's and show that model on the builders plate
just to name a couple of examples.

> John
>
> > ----------

GE
> > using an experimental pre-U33B like shell. Prototype U33B/C units did
not
> > have the sloped roof line meet the radiator as 2858 has.  Engine 2859 up
are
> > U30B's with standard production bodes. Only PC owned the U33B's and were
> > 2900 series.
> >

> > > Since NYC only had two U33B's you are either talking about 2858 or
2859.
> > I have
> > > slides of both of these taken in the early 1970's in full PC paint and
> > neither
> > > has the white frame stripe.  The unit in the Conrail volume showing
the
> > white
> > > frame stripe has to be the result of worn off paint.  Most of the ex -
NYC
> > > U28B's and U30B's only received repainting once and by the time 1976
came
> > around
> > > the paint jobs were pretty worn, showing the NYC markings and white
frame
> > > stripes underneath.  Back then they didn't sand-blast off the older
paint
> > but
> > > just repainted over the existing coatings and sometimes the existing
dirt.

> > > "Bill K." <pontiac -AT- dreamscape.com> on 05/23/2001 11:12:39 PM
> > >
> > > Please respond to penn-central -AT- smellycat.com
> > >
> > > To:   penn-central -AT- smellycat.com
> > > cc:    (bcc: Mark Branibar/USA/NA/Praxair)
> > > Subject:  PC: Re: white frames and worms
> > >

> > > There's a shot of an ex-NYC U33B in Conrail Volume 1 that made it to
> > Conrail
> > > with the white frame stripe intact; didn't seem to have had any PC
woms
> > > either.   Given that Conrail got rid of those pretty early, I doubt it
got
> > > painted blue -
> > >
> > > Bill K.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index