Re: PC: Re: white frames and worms

NYC never owned any U33B's. Engine 2858 is a one of a kind U30B built by GE
using an experimental pre-U33B like shell. Prototype U33B/C units did not
have the sloped roof line meet the radiator as 2858 has.  Engine 2859 up are
U30B's with standard production bodes. Only PC owned the U33B's and were
2900 series.

> Since NYC only had two U33B's you are either talking about 2858 or 2859.
I have
> slides of both of these taken in the early 1970's in full PC paint and
neither
> has the white frame stripe.  The unit in the Conrail volume showing the
white
> frame stripe has to be the result of worn off paint.  Most of the ex - NYC
> U28B's and U30B's only received repainting once and by the time 1976 came
around
> the paint jobs were pretty worn, showing the NYC markings and white frame
> stripes underneath.  Back then they didn't sand-blast off the older paint
but
> just repainted over the existing coatings and sometimes the existing dirt.
>

> "Bill K." <pontiac -AT- dreamscape.com> on 05/23/2001 11:12:39 PM
>
> Please respond to penn-central -AT- smellycat.com
>
> To:   penn-central -AT- smellycat.com
> cc:    (bcc: Mark Branibar/USA/NA/Praxair)
> Subject:  PC: Re: white frames and worms
>

> There's a shot of an ex-NYC U33B in Conrail Volume 1 that made it to
Conrail
> with the white frame stripe intact; didn't seem to have had any PC woms
> either.   Given that Conrail got rid of those pretty early, I doubt it got
> painted blue -
>
> Bill K.

Bought
> > second-hand from C&O, operating on Canada Southern. Cannot tell if sill
is
> > white or if the loco is still blue/yellow with PC stencils replacing the
> C&O
> > (08-72).
> >
> > Page 132 Rio Grande F units is full Rio Grande with worm logos simply
> > stenciled in on flanks and nose, white #721 in standard PC location at
> back
> > of hood. (just tossing that in),
> >
> > Page 180 X-NH GP9 #7555, worms on nose, white # on cab sub-base, orange
> cab
> > still in place, no other markings, 1971.
> >
> > Page 208 X-NYC SW8 units with white sill #8634 NYC lettering and paint,
no
> > PC markings; #8613 with tiny PC worm logo, NYC numbers, ratty white
sill.

> > Page 212 X-NYC SW7s #8865 and #8883 both have PC markings, full white
> sill.
> >
> > Page 217 X-NH SW1200 #9182, white sill, small worm logo and PC number on
> cab
> > side, back of cab still red/orange, back of cab sub-base painted white.
> >
> > Page 218 X-IHB Sw1500 #9227, full PC switcher scheme, white sill.
> >
> > It appears that white side sills were uncommon, but not rare, for
> switchers.
> > It appears that white sills on road units (GP40, U30B) were more from
poor
> > paint jobs or benign neglect in repainting from NYC schemes. This is
just
> my
> > 2 cents worth. Hope it helps.
> >
> > Patrick