Re: PC: Run through power

The L&N power into Columbus came up on freights operating bewteen DeCoursey
and Buckeye Yard.  These were often U25Bs but sometimes U23Bs and once in a
while, EMDs.

The US Steel Gary Coal trains, known as the ULG trains on PC and CR,
sometimes had pooled power coming into Cincinnati from the Lynch Coal
Processing facility on the L&N.  I'm not sure if the pooled power went on to
Gary or was changed at Cincinnati.  Perhap someone with more knowledge of
the operation of these trains can shed some light on run-through power.  I
do remember one afternoon sitting at the Amtrak station on River Road in
Cincinnati watching a ULG coal train roll by behind a pair of L&N Alcos and
a pair of PC SD45s.  This was in 1973 (I think) and the train was still
running over the former NYC between Cincinnati and Indianapolis.

PC received coal trains off the L&N for destinations other than US Steel
Gary.  These went to Toledo, Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh and to customers
in westerm New York.  I do not recall ever seeing any pool power on those
trains.

As for the PC power you saw on the L&N, that power was leased to ease the
power crunch due to increased coal loadings, as you memntioned.

Steve Hipes