PC: Re: PC signal answers

Right before the death of Conrail I saw and photographed at least 5 remaining
sets of the NYC double masted non-interlocking signals.  As Jim states they were
the "turned head" types, but still had the flavor of the old NYC.  Their
locations were:  the first set of signals east of CP97, the signals at
Springfield, Pa., the first set of signals west of Madison, Ohio, the signals in
Willoughby, Ohio and the signals at Dunlap, Ind (east of Elkhart).  Sorry I
can't give you the mileage numbers but I'm at work and not home.  Also of
interest was the fact that the track chart booklet issued by CSX after the
takeover showed the double masted sets in their territory as double masted sets.
All the rest have been either been removed by block lengthening or replaced by
single ground masts (a correction to my earlier statement about most of the
signals being around for a long time).

But I do hate that phrase "Reading-style" signals because they weren't.

"Jim Kosty" <j_kosty -AT- hotmail.com> on 03/20/2001 11:20:21 AM

Please respond to penn-central -AT- smellycat.com