Re: PC: Re: PC signal answers

I am pretty certain that the reason for the difference in signal styles east
/ west of Buffalo was due to the fact that the "old" NYC was Buffalo to New
York.  Then, the western portion was originally the Lake Shore and Michigan
Southern Railroad until the Vanderbilts increased the proportions of their
empire.
A lot of those signals west of Buffalo were reconfigured after the advent of
the stack trains.  It was because of the height of the stacks that some
trains couldn't see their signal aspects if a stacker intervened between
their train and the signal masts.  Originally, this was remedied by turning
the signals on one of the masts the other direction and rewiring them, so
that a set was visible from each track on the outside.  Conrail started
replacing the old signal heads in the early nineties, and probably CSX will
continue to do the same.
Jim Kosty