Re: PC: Why no money?

Enough bickering, from a personon who has read every book on the Penn
Central. The reason why the Penn Central went bankrupt was a couple of
factors. Yes the NH. didn't help the over all picture of the railroad but if
you look at the two railroads. The so called red and green teams could not
get along with each other. New York enginers would not run Pennsy. engines
becuase the didn't have arm rests. The top brass from each railroad could not
get along with there counterparts,nor could the lower personnal either. Lets
not forget the big brother goverment that made the Penn Central keep all of
the lines that did not make a profit for the system.
While on the other hand let conrail cut them from the system with out batting
an eye.Some help did come to the railroad but it was to late. That help was
the formation of Amtrac.Of course by that time it was to late. On the other
hand if they would have stuck to what they knew best and not invested in all
kinds of different endevors such as real estate an sport teams they
possiblely would of had enought money to run a railroad. If the Penn Central
was still alive today as I believe they are in my basement they would of been
a major player in todays market.One last note,lets not forget about all of
us, including me, that would rather drive a car, or fly in a plane than ride
on the trains. Well there you have it one more persons two cents worth.

            Darren

Home | Main Index | Thread Index