PC: From: Jerry Jordak <jer -AT- smellycat.com>

Hey everyone,

I have asked Patrick (off-list) to hold off on listing eBay items for a while.
Right now, we are seeing unprecedented traffic on this mailing list. This is a
good thing, but it has some bad side effects in that some people can't or won't
keep up with all the individual messages sent out in a day, and as a result there
have been people dropping off the list because it has gotten to be too much to
handle.

I am aware of this problem and I want to correct it. The answer is not less
meaningful discussion on the list, because that would make the point of the list
unnecessary. Rather, I am working on getting a digest version of the list set up
so that people on the digest would receive one or two e-mails a day instead
of ten, twenty, or thirty. I hope to get this working in a test mode by the end
of the week and available to everyone to use a week or so after that. We've also
been going through changes and upgrades to the web software on the server and
yesterday there were some unrelated name resolution problems to work through.
Lots has been going on, but I'm trying my best to get this done and working.

In the meantime, I wanted to reduce some of the non-necessary traffic on the list,
such as eBay postings. eBay has search engines and other such functionality to
find items, so I think posting such things here is redundant, and it cuts down the
message load per day. Maybe later I can allow it again, but for now I ask that we
stop posting eBay listings, etc. I was on another list where someone started
posting eBay listings daily and he was chewed out by the group, and I don't need
that to start here. No sense wasting bandwidth on listings or the discussion of
them for now.

Anyway, thank you all for your support and cooperation. We have a great list here
that has become a helpful resource for a lot of people, and I would just as soon
keep it that way. Details on the digest version of this list will be posted here
when they become available.

Jerry Jordak
Listmaster, PC Mailing List

Home | Main Index | Thread Index