From: Patrick <seaboardempire -AT- earthlink.net>
To: penn-central -AT- smellycat.com <penn-central@smellycat.com>
Date: Sunday, January 21, 2001 10:27 PM
Subject: Re: PC: Re: PC Roster

>Hi--yes, he would have to round up all the slides and such again, or,
better yet, go more for color ones and less for the B&W this go around.
While 13-D doesn't require a whole lot of imagination, the color pics would
sure help in seeing the best way to weather model locos for PC--I don't
think just hosing them with Grimy Black really qualifies. Doing one of these
books can really be quite a project. One prominent and prolific author I
know has been working on a BN Color Guide for over 3 years. I'd love to see
one for the SCL, but that is a different list to bug people on. Keep hope
(for the PC) alive!

>Patrick
>seaboardempire -AT- earthlink.net

edition of such a work, and that offering second editions could hurt
>> the sales of releases because folks might decide to wait for later
>> printings. Both valid points, and I have to agree with him.
>
>How about instead of a revised second edition he just reprint the
>original version? Three reasons for this: a) I don't know how much you
>could change the original...just about all the data you'd ever need was
>in it, b) the poor saps paying $71 on eBay would probably rather pay $45
>or $50 for a brand new copy, revised or not, and c) it would be a lot
>easier for Mr. Yanosey and Company to reprint. (I'm assuming on the
>last point--I don't know if they would need to get back all of the
>original slides and prints that were in the original book, or if there's
>some "master" sitting around that they can print off again. My ignorance
>of the publishing world is showing here.)
>
>> While I am all for capitalism, free markets, etc., it kills me to pay
>> well above market for books such as PC power just because I was not in
>> the hobby when it came out.
>
>All I can say is that I'm thankful for what had to have been good
>foresight was I was in high school and shelled out $45 plus S&H to
>order my copy of _Penn Central Power_. To me, at the time, that was a
>rather large sum of money, but I'm glad I bought it when I did.
>
>Later,
>-Jer
>
>--
>Jerry W. Jordak                   It's not the trains that amaze me--
>mailto:jer@smellycat.com          it's the fish heads.
>http://prozac.cwru.edu/jer/                       -- Mark Bailey
>Acts 16:31   <><

Home | Main Index | Thread Index