Re: PC: NYC sharks that didn't make it to PC

Both CSX and NS have charitable foundations within their corporate
structure.  Neither is very active this point, as both roads are working to
restore their profit margins as they digest Conrail.
However, they should be contacted (via their websites) to inquire about the
types of projects they support and what kind of application process is
involved.
Another resource would be your friendly local grants administrator.  (many
towns have them.)  If the move, restoration and proper display (or operation
as a tourist attraction) can be couched as an economic development project,
there might be money available from state and local sources, and potentially
the feds under T-21 transportation funds.

Here are the keys,
1)  A thorough cost analysis needs to be done that includes costs of
acquisition, preparation, transportation, a destination for the rehab work,
a final resting place (including any building construction or rehab costs),
and a projection of about a 3 year operating budget for maintenance,
staffing, supplies, insurance, security, etc.

2)  We need the current owner to be a willing accomplice.  If he is a hard
head, and not willing to negotiate a fair price, then leave them be until it
falls to his heirs, who more than likely will want to dump the things to be
done with them.

3)  Identify a final resting place (or operating venue) that is well
secured, convenient to volunteers, and available to the public.

4)  Develop a business plan that identifies revenue sources, including
admission, membership dues, public and private contributions, etc.

5)  Make sure all budget projections are realistic, and can be met by the
revenue sources.

A well prepared planning document will be important to secure the funding
that will be necessary for such a large project.  Involving and getting
support from an existing, well established museum (such as B&O or Strasburg)
will also create a lot more leverage than a bunch of guys who like trains.
PCRHS can be an influence, but given the longevity and the nature of the
organization, a museum's participation will be important.

Strasburg would be an excellent first stop, as this is already state run,
and the sharks would be very appropriate for their collection, as both the
NYC and D&H (not to mention PC) were influential in state history.  Also, I
know Baldwin built their steam in Philadelphia...  was that not the
birthplace of the sharks also?

Make some calls.  Where there is a will, there is a way.

If I can help, let me know.
Lee