PC: PC Calcium Carbide car

I was at a recent model train show & picked up a model that I can't find any info about.

It's an old HO Penn CEntral car by A.H.M. & is identified as a 'Calcium Carbide' car.   It looks like a flat car with a grid-like series of open posts - like they're made to hold individual canisters or something like that.   The gridwork is all open.  I looked through the Penn Central Freight Equipment guide but couldn't find it.   Does anyone know:

- Did the PC actually have a car like this?   If not, any idea what road might have had them?
- What would a load for this car look like?  Maybe I could scratch build a load for it.

Thanks!

Todd

"Surely you can't be serious?"
"I am serious, and don't call me Shirley!"

Home | Main Index | Thread Index