Re: PC: RE:Bicentennial paint

most likely NJ DOT financed their purchase by EL, since they wore NJ DOT
colors rather than G/M/Y EL colors.   I know from one of the EL books that
EL wasn't supposed to use them west of Hornell when they did borrow one for
frieght work - the idea being to keep them close so they would be where
they belonged Monday morning.   Also, other than the Bicen unit I don't
think any were ever lettered Conrail like FL9's were.  It could be that it
took the original lease to expire before the actual title was transfered to
NJT.

Did PC paint anything besides the one buisness car for the Bicentennial?  I
know EL had it's SD45/SDP45 combo and LV did a caboose, but I'm pretty sure
RDG and CNJ went without...    looks like the 2 PC engines that were
painted were done by Conrail, though.

----------
> From: Garrett Rea <Garrett.Rea -AT- worldnet.att.net>
> To: penn-central -AT- smellycat.com
> Subject: Re: PC: RE:Bicentennial paint
> Date: Saturday, February 26, 2000 6:33 PM
>

> From: NEW HAVEN U25B <ERIE-LACKAWANNA -AT- prodigy.net>
>

> >The U34CH is not CR property and only lettered CR on the upper side of
long
> >hood. Engine is also marked with NJDOT logos. A year after the the
bicent
> >the engine remained red white blue and had the CONRAIL name painted out
and
> >renumbered back to 4151 which is its real number.
>

> Would this be the same as CR U34CH 4151, an ex EL unit?  It is shown as a
CR
> unit in 1977, based in Secaucus, working commuter service on former EL
> territory.  This from CR's 77 roster.  Thirty-two units listed total,
4151
> first of the series.  As N. H, points out, there is a question to actual
> ownership, as there was a lot of foreign power on CR in those
> days....however, it is under the "owned" category, not "leased".  Other
> locos listed that went to NJDOT are not included in the totals active by
> class, whilst the U34CHs are shown to be CR owned, but the pictured unit
has
> NJDOT logos....CONFUSING!
>
> GWR

Home | Main Index | Thread Index