PC: (no subject)

It is sad to hear that Athearn is in financial trouble.  I can understand,
when I first switched to HO they were my main brand for the majority, but now
it is Proto 2k.  I do love the ease of mantinence and usual ample supply of
parts from Athearn (sometimes not, I know), and how you don't feel guilty for
scrapping a shell.  I became part of the collectors craze by need, but do not
mind painting and cutting into them.  It is hard sometimes, I know I need at
least four of the new GP40's, getting them when they come out is why I have
so damn many engines that aren't finished.  I spend so much time planning and
buying, not enough time building. P2k said they are going to make even less
of their next runs because dealers complain that a lot of them sit on the
shelf's for too long.  I do love the variety that comes out, but by making it
limited run, people buy them right off the bat and don't wait until they feel
the need to buy it.  That is their response, and that in turn gives them the
ability to keep producing new models.  It gives a high turnover rate.
But you needn't fret, you can always find the stuff on Ebay.  I have bought
about fifteen P2k, Kato and Atlas engines there that have been out of
production for a long time, even finding undecs.  And I usually pay no more
than 50 bucks- I got three RDG SD45's for $210, a A-B-A set of FA's in LV for
$110, not bad at all.

Chris

Home | Main Index | Thread Index