Re: PC: F-7's

Norman O Mueller wrote:

> I lived in Philadelphia during the Penn Central era.  I remember maybe
> once in all those years seeing a freight train powered by EMD F units.
> It was always electric power or diesel road switchers at the point.  Were
> the F's kept on the western half of the system?  It seems the pictures I
> have seen were taken west of Pittsburgh.

You're right....most of the F units seemed to have been kept on the
western part of the system, where the terrain was more flat. (No
sense sending four-axle F-units into the mountains when you have SD45s
to do the same job.) From what I understand, many of the F units were
assigned for maintenance purposes to the Collinwood shops on the east
side of Cleveland, Ohio.

Later,
-Jer

--
Jerry W. Jordak               Time has little to do with infinity
mailto:jer@smellycat.com      and jelly doughnuts.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index