Re: PC: NJCB N6 Transfer cab painting/assembly

In a message dated 12/5/99 9:25:04 PM EST, Garrett.Rea -AT- worldnet.att.net
writes:

<< Gents:

 Now that we have a good source of decals (thank you), I plan to paint my
 NJCB PC transfer cabin.  My question, has anyone successfully taken the body
 off and not damaged the rails?  I wish to put glazing in the windows when I
 am completed.  Any ideas?  They do not look soldered into the body.  My fear
 is they screw the body to the chassis then the rails are fed into the body
 holes and soldered onto the end stanchions of the car as the final part of
 assembly.

 I have heard of solutions that you can use to make windows in small models,
 would this work?  Anyone tried it?

 Garrett Rea

I stripped the screwheads before I got the body loose so the handrails were
( and still are) safe. What I had figured was to slide the body towards one
end
and then hopefully be able to gently deflect the handrails enough to slide the
body to the side and then off. Not sure exactly what I was thinking, looking
at
it now I don't think it would've worked w/o messing up the handrails AND the
paint job.

The liquid window stuff ( Micro glaze??) would probably work ok for the
smaller
end windows, it generally works best on small windows. Probably wouldn't
look too great on the side windows. Of course the beauty ( such as it is) of
the
stuff is that it's water soluble and it's easy to remove if you don't like
it. BTW
another downside to that is that you have to replace every once and a while
as it doesn't age too well ( turns yellow). Think of it as an opportunity to
get
better at it with practice :^).

Doug

Home | Main Index | Thread Index