[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
PC: FL9 update
- Subject: PC: FL9 update
- From: Robert Holzweiss <robert.holzweiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 12:34:23 -0400
- Content-disposition: inline
A while back there was some discussion on the list about a FL9 model available from Branford Hobbies. Over my vacation I drove to Branford Hobbies and looked for myself. Here is what I found:
1. The drives are in fact Athearn (from PA's) but, like all Athearn products can be remotored. He tried to use Kato but Kato was not interested and the price would be even higher than it already is.
2. The bodies are nice. Like all models, the modeler will have to add appropriate details to make the model accurate to a specific unit or time frame. The kits all come with metal third rail gear and small pantograph for the roof.
3. The original run included metal bodies but the new run (around November) will be plastic shells.
4. The first run of FL9's are sold out but the EP5's are still in stock.
5. Yes there will be a PC (blue/yellow with yellow worms) paint scheme in the new run with Metro-North, Amtrak, and of course New Haven too. The gentleman who is doing the work was very informative and seemed genuinely interested in doing a PC paint scheme.
6. Time seems to have run out for the real FL9's. Many stored around Harmon and at Croton North. Some rebuilt CONDOT (NH livery) still in service. I don't know if any are destined for a museum. I suppose Danbury is already in negotiations.
"Robert.Holzweiss -AT- bush.nara.gov"
Main Index |