PC: Re: SD38

CR sold one to a Reading & Northern-related party and it's on R&N currently
- a little wierd when even the LV got dynamics on it's units that ran down
there, but then again the R&N people know someone at Conrail -

I think the SD38 had had a failure of some sort when it was sold.

Bill K.

----------
> From: Walter B Turner <lnrr -AT- juno.com>
> To: penn-central -AT- smellycat.com
> Subject: PC: SD38
> Date: Thursday, July 01, 1999 7:18 PM
>
> Penn Central had the largest SD38 fleet. Their 35 units accounted for
> over 50% of the SD38 production (or close to 25% if you inlcude the
> SD38-2). Amazingly, I checked my latest Conrail roster and they were all
> still listed! Does anyone know if this listing was correct?
>
> The only 38 fleet that came close to PC was the combined fleet of the 3
> ore roads (BLE, EJE, SMIR). Together, they had a 38 fleet approaching the
> size of the PC fleet, but while PC was solid SD38, the ore roads had the
> SD38-2. EJE units (possibly 38's) were seen in the Dennis the Menace
> movie.
>
> As far as I can tell, SP didn't have an SD38. Like several roads, the did
> buy a handful of the SD38-2, but the numbers didn't approach the size of
> the PC fleet. These six units were on the roster in the early nineties,
> but as far as I can tell they were gone (or possibly rebuilt) before the
> merger with UP.
>
> Bryan Turner

Home | Main Index | Thread Index