Re: PC: Re: Number board longshot....

Gene.Fusco -AT- lsil.com wrote:

> I'm not certain of the time frame, but early EMD # boards were done in this
> manner. Probably around the GP20 or GP30 era EMD switched to the one piece
> fiberglass board.

> Gene Fusco        | (970) 206-5404         Gene.Fusco -AT- lsil.com     KB0ZMZ

Would the time frame not relate to the demise of scheduled freight trains?   If
you look back to pictures in the 40's, the engine would carry the train number
on the number board, and thus needed the ability to mix and match digits.  When
all trains became extras, with the number of the lead engine, a fixed number
would by definition always be the the train number.  But when did this change
occur?

Bengt

--
Bengt Muten, Reebie Associates, 2777 Summer St, Stamford, CT  06905
Phone 203-705-0455, Fax 203-705-0456, email muten -AT- reebie.com