Re: PC: Smoke In New York

> Date:          Tue, 03 Nov 1998 20:21:02 -0500
> From:          User <wfdurham -AT- bellatlantic.net>
> To:            penn-central -AT- smellycat.com
> Subject:       Re: PC: Smoke In New York

Whend the CNJ started passenger service to P'burg the 2nd time the
former joint DLW/CNJ station was not used. NJT built a platform the
on the site of some of the old CNJ yard on the south side of the
mainline. For a time NJT ran two trains out of P'burg each morning
and back at night. They also had a mid-day roundtrip. One set of
P'burg equipment had a former Blue Comet Obs car on the train facing
east toward Newark. When you can out of the city at night it was on
the rear of the train. I rode this to P'Burg making full use of the
obs platform. The trains where pulled by the CNJ/NJDOT GP-40P
locomotives. Normally two sets of the second hand former long haul
passenger cars painted dark B&O blue with a yellow stripe above the
windows was used.  I moved west to work for the BN in the fall of
1978 so can not commet what happen after this.
Bob Stafford

> Jejunabra -AT- aol.com wrote:
> >
> > The Raritan Valley Line does indeed end at the Newark Pennsylvania Station and
> > has since April 30,1967, when CNJ moved its commuter trains out of Jersey City
> > and its own Broad Street Station in Newark into Pennsylvania Station in
> > Newark. This also marked the end of passenger service to Allentown,
> > Pennsylvania and service was cut back from Phillipsburg to Highbridge.
>
> Dear Jim,
>
> You're right about the discontinuation of the Allentown service.
> However, service to Phillipsburg continued until December, 1983.  The
> last NJT schedule that listed Phillipsburg was the October 30, 1983
> schedule.  The next schedule issued January 3, 1984 dropped
> Phillipsburg.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill

Home | Main Index | Thread Index