PC: ADMIN: Posting binaries and trip report

Hey gang,

I've said this several times before, and I will say this one more time:

-- DO NOT post binaries to the mailing list. This means pictures,
executable files, etc. Binaries are prohibited from this list.
This is spelled out clearly in the Info File that gets mailed to
every new subscriber that contains the handful of operation rules
for the mailing list.

Why no binaries, you ask? Because most people don't want to wait for
20 minutes for their e-mail to download just to get a large file that
they didn't ask for. I consider that in the category of spam, so it
is not allowed here. It also puts excess strain on the list server,
which is overworked and underpowered as it is.

There is a filter on the list server which prevents binary posts from
clogging all your mailboxes, but they bounce back to me and I'm stuck
waiting my mail to download for 20 minutes. This is not a good way to
keep your listmaster happy and preserve your forum to discuss trains
with worms.

If you have photos or other large files that you want the list to see,
e-mail them to me and I'll post them on the PC web site. (If it's
something relevant to the conversation, I can get it posted quicker
than my usual updates, which I need to get to this week, but that's
another story.) Just please don't send them to the list.

>From here forward, anyone who tries to send large files and clogs my
mailbox will be dropped from the list. I'm just tired of dealing with
people who can't read or follow simple rules for the list.

ObPC: On a lighter note, I have finally completed my trip report from
my East Coast trip that I took the week before Labor Day. I covered
mostly all former PC territory and did find some signs of the PC still
around. You can find it at http://prozac.cwru.edu/jer/ectrip0898.html

Thanks,
-Jer

--
Jerry W. Jordak               Time has little to do with infinity
mailto:jer@smellycat.com      and jelly doughnuts.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index