Re: PC: Internet Message

Sorry.  I hear you Jerry and Evil Mike (BTW, great joke about list-members'
pets!), but I just got back from vacation, and I'd like to make a couple of
comments:

	Yes, there are some very annoying railfans out there, and yes, trespassing
is generally a bad idea, although there seem to be some very gray areas out
there.  I used to railfan at McNeil, Texas at the junction of the UP and
the old SP branch (now the Longhorn RR).  The "town" was a 100-year-old
company town for a white lime company that now just consists of a company
general store containing a post office.  I always stayed out of the way of
trains and RR employees, but I was never hasseled by anyone.  The local
shortline's crews (at the time Austin & Northwestern, a RailTex line) were
unfailingly friendly, as was the local signal maintainer for UP.  As for
property lines and trespassing, it was very difficult to know whether one
was on UP, AUNW, public, or lime company property at any given time (i.e.,
the UP main was separated from the company store's front porch by less than
15 ft. of alley/street.  So I'm curious as to what people are doing exactly
to get busted -- I hope it's not anything stupid.
	As far as Orville Ingram, I think you need to find the "Investment Banking
Fan's mailing list."  Yes, RRs are in business to make money, but if PROFIT
is all you care about in your life, it's going to be a very empty one,
Orville.  The RRs -- and other corporations -- should be caring about more
than profit as well.  Unbridled greed and caring for nothing other than the
bottom line is exactly what has gotten our world into the fairly deplorable
state it's in today.  Corporations want to complain about petty lawsuits,
but this is just a result of the average Joe taking a lesson from the
corporations that profit is more important than personal responsibility.
My Dad got downsized from AT&T, but he owns stock in the company, so guess
who's still loyal to AT&T even though they treated him like dirt to make
profit for over 30 years.  Stock is the company's way of getting ordinary
people to support the profit-making activities of a wealthy few.  You quote
us laws and regulations regarding trespassing, but how often have corporate
leaders bent the law for profit?  If a railfan catches a corporation on
film breaking a law, more power to the railfan.  That freedom of expression
makes this country "free" and not a corporate state.
	I know this discussion is not specifically PC-related, but it IS railfan
related.  I don't think we should just sweep it under the rug because
railfanning is just supposed to be "fun."  That sort of "look at the pretty
steam engine" attitude makes it too easy to forget that RRs are powerful
corporations that affect our lives in one way or another.  It is vital that
we, as citizens, also discuss issues like property rights, corporatism, and
whether there is something more important more important in this world than
profit.  I'm glad Evil Mike is thinking!

Christian Axsiom

Home | Main Index | Thread Index