PC: Weekend modelling

I spent most of the weekend catching up on some long overdue modelling
work.  I had 12 locomotives ready for the paint shop, so I finally managed
to get them coated ad started applying decals. Among the group, A couple of
Kato SD45s, an SD40 and an NW2, two Atlas U33Cs two U23Bs, two SD35s a
Proto 2000 SD9 and a kitbashed SD38.

Whew!

Add into that mix a half dozen Bowser cabin cars, and a handful of assorted
covered hoppers, and the airbrush was fully employed.

I also resumed work on my Life-Like X72/X72A project as well.  A couple of
years ago, I managed to pick up a half dozen of these cars, new in the box,
for $1.00 each.  I would have bought more, but that was all they had. :^)
For those not familiar, these cars are exact X72/X72A models with the
exception of the toy train wheels and couplers. The conversion process
involves shaving off the cast on ladders and replacing them with better
detail. Removal of the trucks and installation of decent trucks and
couplers completes the minimal effort required for a decent car. (along
with a paint & decal job to PC green)  Depending on your tastes, underframe
rework can be added as well. Excellent articles on this can be found in the
Sept 1996 RMC and Jan 1990 RMJ.

In the middle of all that, I managed to sneak off to Caboose Hobbies for a
quick visit.  While I was there, I was able to find one of the Gloor Craft
Interlocking Tower kits. (#4004) Make no mistake, this is a model of a
PRR wood tower.  What is odd is that the instructions make no mention of
this fact. PC Power has a couple of photos of these such as Jacks and
I think Port.  The only thing I see wrong with the kit on initial inspection
is the lack of switch lever castings for the interlocking machine. Other
than that minor omission, the kit looks like it will build up into a nice
model.  I'll let you know when I'm done.

Gene Fusco        | (970) 223-5100 x9404   Gene.Fusco -AT- Symbios.com   KB0ZMZ

S/W Development   |   Why do I take pictures of trains?
Symbios Inc.      |   Because they're too big to take home.
Fort Collins CO.  |

Home | Main Index | Thread Index