Re: PC: Anniversary Thoughts

And, since the birth of the surf board, the railroads have promptly taken
advantage of the greater leniency by shooting themselves in the foot (ie,
UP in Texas).  Seriously, after three years watching UP off and on at
McNeil, Texas (just North of Austin), I'm glad I wasn't there this last
summer to see the mess.  I know this isn't news to anyone, but it's too bad
more levelheadedness didn't prevail.  I'm wondering how long the merger
frenzy and bad judgment will persist before the railroads "win back"
regulation.  Must it always be this way?

At 07:28 AM 2/3/98 -0800, Gerhard A. Stuebben wrote:
>NES3524 -AT- aol.com wrote:
>>
>> If we note on the 30th anniversary that PC's death may have saved freight
>> railroads, we might also note the irony that the ICC itself  has also
recently
>> passed away, regulating railroads no more!
>
>Now railroads are regulated by the Surface Transportation Board.

Christian Axsiom
Geography Department
Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs
Syracuse University
048 Eggers Hall
Syracuse, NY  13244
(315) 443-9025