PC: Indiana

I am working on a book about the history of railroading in the area of South
Bend, Indiana.  With four years of research behind me, I have much
information, but still have some needs.

In particular, I'm looking for information about two branchlines: the
ex-Vandalia, ex-PRR branch line that ran from Plymouth, Indiana into South
Bend and the ex-Elkhart & Western, ex-NYC line that ran from Elkhart to
Mishawaka, Indiana.  Both lines survived into the 1970s to the best of my
knowledge, and were thus part of Penn Central.  Does anyone know the dates
of last operation on these two lines?  Can anyone point me toward resources
where I might get other facts?

Thanks for your help.

Jan Young

Home | Main Index | Thread Index